Posted by: Finally | 2010-01-19

My husband and I have been married for 5 years in March and we have a 5 and a half year old son, for the past three years we have been intesively trying to get pregnant and last year I has a miscarriage. It was very early in my pregnancy and the bleeding started when I was at work so I told my boss and she allowed me to go to hospital but she is no baby baby person (altough she has 3 kids). Another lady in our office was pregnant last year and when she went on maternity leave they tried to work her out of the company and obviously could not becuase they cannot do such a thing by law, but the way the talked about her and considering retrenchment when she returns. That never happened but she only told them she was pregnant when she was 5 months due to being afraid of them and their reaction. Obviously they also has a problem with her telling them so late in the pregnancy. The day after the miscarriage I returned to work and not one word was said about the miscarriage. I just found out that I am 3 weeks pregnant and myself and hubby cannot be more happy. I went for blood test yesterday and everything seems to be in order so I told my Director about the pregnancy today as to alleviate being in trouble for not telling sooner or worst for having someone else tell them. The first thing she asked me was whether I will be resigning when I go on maternity leave and I said no. She then told me not to take the pregnancy to seriously becuase I can still miscarriage and it would be as simple as missing a period. This really wowed me. I know there are risks so early in the pregnancy but heck is it really necessary to talk like that and also this is a very small company so there are no HR, no complaining and defenitely no telling how you FEEL. I know by law they cannot do anything to me but I dont know whether I can go through what the other lady went through when time comes and the rest of my pregnancy with an attitude hanging in this office. My biggest wish would be to resign but we cannot afford this. Please help?

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Wow! What can I say, this unfeeling being needs to be sent on numerous counselling courses to rectify her attitude. Yes, you are certainly protected by law and this is probably your only comfort, Your doctor may need to book you off earlier to protect the pregnancy in light of your obstetric history. There is no remedy for her attitude. Good luck!