Question
Posted by: Grant | 2009/08/05

Preganancy exposure to Swine Flu

My wife is now 22 wks pregnant and works in a Pathologists Lab in Durban, South Africa. At times they do test samples for the H1N1 flu. Our countruy has now had 2 confirmed deaths due to this virus, and I am now VERY concerned as to whether she should continue working there, as pregnant women I am told could be at a higher risk. Is it remotely possible that the virus can spread via blood/ other samples?

Please advise
Grant

I am sure that strict precautions are taken in laboratories, so she is probably safer there than elsewhere.