Question
Posted by: excited | 2011/08/19

Predicting Ovulation

Good day, my husband and I are trying to conceive but every online calculator I have looked at tells me

Then I happen to go to my gynecologist for my yearly checkup and she commented that I had a good looking follicle and that it should be ready in about 3 days for up to 4 days, this information contradicted what the calculators told me.

As I would like to know for each month when I am ovulation as to ensure a higher number of success, could you kindly advise when ovulation starts occurring and for how long. My cycle is 28 days and usually 3 days long. I am 31 and he is 36.

i.e. my cycle started on 27 July and my visit to my gyne was on 10 Aug and the ''ready'' stage was from 13 Aug.

Dear Excited

In a patient with regular 28-day cycle and no other hormonal imbalances, it is expected that ovulation would occur in the mid-cycle phase i.e. day-14 of the cycle. However there is considerable variation even in a regular 28-day cycle which may result in a shift in ovulation by 2 days either prior to day-14 i.e. from day-12 to day-16. To more accurately detect ovulation I would recommend the use of the urine LH detection kits such as Clearplan commencing from round about day-10 of your cycle. Should you not detect any changes on this ovulation testing method then follicle tracking by ultrasound scans with your gynaecologist would be recommended for at least 2 to 3 cycles to establish whether you have an erratic ovulation and possibly dysfunctional luteal phase.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/08/25

Dear Excited

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert