Question
Posted by: Susie | 2011-02-21

Pre-pregnancy rubella screening

I had the rubella vaccination when I was 13years old. I am now 33 years old. Will this still be effective? I''m planning on having a baby in the next few years and I''ve been advised by a friend to test for rubella immunity first. Is this necessary or overly paranoid?

You should test for immunity. It doesn't last forever.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-02-24

Posted by: Purple | 2011-02-22

Generally if you tell your doctor you want to conceive, they will recommend a rubella immunity test first.

Its not overly paranoid. It is a precaution to stop you having a deformed, blind, deaf baby by having the vaccine done again if your immunity is low again.

Reply to Purple