Question
Posted by: michelle | 2010/09/29

Pre Operative Anxiety

Good Afternoon

I have suffered from anxiety for a couple of years now. I am due for surgery soon and I have had daily anxiety attacks. What can I do to relax? I listen to an mp3 player with calming music and I am taking Urbanol 5mg. Do you have any more advice on how to prepare for my surgery?

Thank You So Much
Michelle

There are various ways in which this could be helped. YOu don't mention having seen a proper specialist psychiatrist for a full assessment and advice on treatment, which could be helpful. Drugs like Urbanol can indeed help one to feel more relaxed - but there are others, including some also used to treat depression, which are better at removing anxiety rather than just sedating it. And CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) a special form of counselling / psychotherapy, can be highly effective in helping you to learn to master anxiety and with lasting benefits. It can also, if you were seeing a psychologist with this skill, start by focussing specifically on what aspects of the planned surgery are worrying you, and helping you to learn to handle the whole surgical process smoothly and without anxiety.
The calming music is useful in addition to all the other measures. If time is limited, a psychologist could accelerate the process and help deal with the surgery anxity first.

1