Question
Posted by: Yikes | 2008/08/05

Pre-Op Nerves

Im going in for a cyst removal op next Monday.
I am calm although I have a history of anxiety and am no longer on my meds. I am having heart pulpatations, splitting headaches and no appetite. Please can someone just give me some kinda encouragement regarding this op - its not like open heart surgery but I keep seeing my lifeless body on the operating table being cut open and stiched up (never had stiches or broken bones) was in hospital once before and had a terrible experience - woke up too soon, vomited everywhere etc.... very scared...my heart is about to burst out my chest!

Hello Yikes,
I know how it feels to wait for surgery. It would have been wise to consider starting again on your meds well before surgery, and to have discussed this with your shrink, but of course this is a little late to start that process. Mention this anxiety on admission, so they can give you some tranqullizer on admission, as well as perhaps giving you some pre-op meds a little early. Try to focus on less miserable and frightening images. THink of how relieved you will fel to wake up and find the op is over. Stop imagining that lifeless body --- you'll be no more lifeless than while you sleep at night, and the alternative ( being awake during surgery ) is much less pleasant ! You're perhaps fortunate not to have had fractures of stitches so far in your life, but you'll soon be one of the stitched and able to re-assure others that its really not bad at all. Again, on admission, tell them of your previous bad experience --- if, for instance, you're a bit more sensitive than others to the potential for some meds to make one nauseous, they can give you something for that, and choose a more suitable med.
Try to be calm, and look forward to being cystless soon. And do come back onbnthe forum and let us know how it all went.

3
Posted by: EK | 2008/08/05

Having a simple op is a breeze.they will give you a pill to make you drowsy and you wont even know they have put the anaesthetic drip in your hand. and you will wake up again and think...gee when am i going to have the op?
so relax...during the past year i have had 2 operations, 2 needle biopsies, 15 sessions of chemo, countless blood tests and 6 cat scans.

so just R E L A X..........

Reply to EK
Posted by: Nia | 2008/08/05

I can totally understand that you are very nervous about having an op. I am each time I must have one, even if it is only something silly as having my wisdom teeth removed.

I had a few cysts removed, so did my sister, and I promise you, it is not a high risk operation.

By the way - people that work in hospital are truly used to EVERYTHING. They have seen it all and they have cleaned it all and there is nothing you can do in hospital that nobody before you has not done a million times before yet. Their job is care giving and they are so dedicated to doing it. Even if you wet yourself in the reception area of the hospital - I promise you, they wont think about it twice. They have seen it millions of times before. Dont worry about what you might do or not do when you do wake up. Rather pray that everything will be fine with the op and that you will get better soon.

And if something does happen that you are ashamed about, just thank all the staff with a nice chocolate cake when you leave and remember to treat everybody there as special and important - especially the cleaners that have to clean up after hundreds op people that cannot help themselves every day.

So

Reply to Nia
Posted by: Me | 2008/08/05

Just pray about it, and ask God to give you courage...

Reply to Me