Posted by: TED | 2008-11-21

Pre Menstrual DD - Hormone Imbalance?

Please help.
Every month i have at least 2 weeks of uncontrollable anger and crying - to the point of hysteria.
Nothing around me triggers it.
I just wake up in a ' low'  mood and cannot seem to shift it - even if something good happens, it doesnt seem to register.
I have kept food and mood diaries and been to so many doctors, and all anyone wants to do is put me on anti-depressants like fluroxitine.
This only puts me in a state where i cant feel anything - it doesnt help balance out these hormone dips.
Prior to being so low, i get the opposite - a rush of euphoric happiness - this only lasts around a week though and then the rug feels like it has been pulled from under me and im in a state of total dispair.
My life is good, and relatively stress free.
I have read up on PMS and am wondering if it is PMDD - as i can tick most of the symptoms - bith mental and physical - there.
The way i feel is definitely not normal. The aggression and the sadness are dibilitating - to the point where i can hardly work for bursting into tears and i put tremendos strain on my friendships, and on my relationship. Im disinterested, distant and cruel in the way i act and speak. Without meaning to im totally spiteful, which is not my personality at all. Its to the point i hardly recognise myself and its scary.
I have tried all herbal and dietary methods to control these symptoms and i am fast running out of options.
I need someone to finally take me seriously instead of fobbing me off with easy answers.
Please help me.

You don't say how these moods relate to your cycle. If they occur in the two weeks before your period, it could well be PMDD. Treatment options are the Pill or an antidepressant for that two weeks of each month.