Question
Posted by: G | 2010-09-01

Pre-menstrual

One hears that all woman suffer from pre-menstrual pain. My girlfriend gets severe headaches for a few days. Is this not an indication that certain hormone levels or something are out of balance for a few days? Surely there is a medical solution for this?

Not all women suffer from premenstrual pain, but some do. This is a normal part of the hormonal changes during the cycle, just as pain is part of labour. The Pill can help and so can painkillers.

3
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-09-04

Posted by: G | 2010-09-01

Thanks so much, Purple

Reply to G
Posted by: Purple | 2010-09-01

There should be but to find a doctor who cares would be the biggest miracle.

I found that my headaches while menstruating were to do with a magnesium deficiency. I started taking primeve plus which has magensium and evening primrose oil and by the second month on this had stopped having headaches while menstruating. I stopped for a while and the headaches came back. I think its got to build up in your body a lot.
I''ve stopped craving nuts and chocolate as well (which apparently have magnesium in them).

Its available over the counter, though some pharmacies don''t have it on the shelf but behind the counter.

You buy an enormous box of 90 at a time. You take one a day each day, and then when PMS symptoms start you take three per day, and if its is very bad take three, three times a day for a day or two.
It definitely builds up in your body, as I now take one per day, and then three on the day before my preiod is due and the first day and then reduce to one a day again.

I''ve also started increasing the magnesium that I eat by eating more broccolli.

Your girlfriend should also take a multi vitamin daily. One specially for women is best, such as Vital multivitamin for women or something similar. Remember that price is not an indicator of quality.

Good luck, I hope you solve this.

Reply to Purple