Question
Posted by: Sam | 2008-12-23

Pre menopause When dies it happen

I am a 38 year old female. I have never had intercourse nor any children. In the last two years I have been expriencing what feels to me as hot flushes and insomnia.
I will be sitting watching TV, or simply talking with friends at a braai and suddenly feel as if though it is the hotest day in summer. Some days are more severe than others.
I have also been experiencing nights when I sleep 3-4hrs max and then I am wide awake. This may continue for a week and then a few days of normal sleep. Then the cycle starts again.
Are these signs or pre menopause. I can' t handle these times of hot flushes. I become irritable and very upset.
I am currently on medication for High Bloodpressure and have been diagnosed as hypertensive.

Can you give me some advise please

Sam

It could be the start of menopause. You could find out by having a blood test. If you are perimenopausal, HRT is an option. However, this will have to be carefully discussed with your gynaecologist in view of the hypertension.