Posted by: soon to be married | 2009-02-04

Pre marraige conselling

I would just like to get some opions on pre marraige counselling

My fiance and I have a 4 month old son have been engaged for 18 months and living together 14 months, we both have the same view on religion and very similar morals...

When is pre marraige counselling a good idea and in your opion does everyone need to go and why?

thank you

I haven't come across any situation in which such counselling is a BAD idea--- at the worst, you might have a session or two and discover that you're both doing arvellously and need no further help.

Posted by: Yes, do it ! | 2009-02-04

I believe that it would be a very good idea to go for counselling. It might seem all rosey at the moment, but very often there are hidden " dragons"  that manifest themselves later, that need to come out and usually do with the help of an experienced Counsillor. Both parties should be very much aware noit only of their own shortcomings, but also of their partner. For example, now while you are all lovey dovey, one might be quite useless/lazy, doesn' t cook, can' t stay committed to a task etc and at this stage its seen to be cute. " Don' t worry honey, I' ll do this or that"  A few years down the line not only is this very tiresome, but becomes a real deal breaker. Remember you cannot ever " change"  someones'  behaviour if they don' t want to change it. An " occasional drinker"  or smoker , spendthrift or party person can develop into a full blown serious problem for one of you. Better to sort it out now. Good luck.

Reply to Yes, do it !