Question
Posted by: Rudy | 2009/04/24

Pre Bed Nutrition

Hi Vanessa, what is the correct quantity of protein-carb-fat to have before bed to maintain/build your muscle without putting on extra fat. I usually have Low fat Cottage cheese, peanut butter and fat free milk.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Rudy

Most importantly is to watch the fat at this point – thus I would rather eat fat free cottage cheese and no peanut butter – leave the peanut butter for breakfast or lunchtime.

There is no hard and fast rule, however many body builders prefer not to consume any carbs before bedtime. I know it is the total amount of calories per day that matters and in the ratios of 40-60% protein, 15-25% protein and never more than 20% fat. Thus your cottage cheese with fat free milk is perfect given that it is in line with your daily calorie need. Re you fat intake it is best to add your good fats to your lunch and dinner as you split the amount and the obvious intake of saturated fats from your protein will then also fall in line with those meals. It is extremely important that of the 20% fat calories per day two thirds are made up from good fats (avo, olives, olive oil, nuts & seeds).

Take care
Vanessa

2
Posted by: Rudy | 2009/05/04

Hi Vanessa, Ive heard a lot of people advise taking cottage cheese and peanut butter before bed, why is it bad to have PB? wouldnt the fat slow down absorbtion of the cottage cheese making it ideal before bed? Ive heard of carbs being bad before bed but not good fats.

Reply to Rudy
Posted by: Rudy | 2009/05/04

Reply to Rudy