Posted by: Gillian | 2009-02-27

Pre-baby weight but feeling fatter

Dear Diet Doc

After 2 back to back pregnancies in the past 2 years I' m at last back to my starting weight of 62kgs. At my heaviest I was 90kg! The problem is that I feel really fat still and have a really rotund tummy and lots of flab. I' m about 5' 5 in height and think that I should maybe keep going and get rid of another 5-7 kgs.

Is this common and will my tummy return to normal or will I always have a huge jelly belly tummy? I run 3 times a week and participate in road races when I can, and also walk everywhere when possible. So I think I' m getting plenty of exercise, it' s frustrating that I' m still struggling with my weight a year after giving birth. Oh and I' m in my early 40s now.

Dear Gillian
Firstly congratulations on those 2 dear babies (despite the fact that they caused such a lot of weight gain, they must be very special to you!) Then super congrats for losing 30 kg - you are a bright shining ***star***!!
As to your present weight and state: your BMI = 22,8 which is slightly above the ideal of 22 for which you would need to weigh 59 kg, thus a loss of another 3 kg. The fact that your tummy is large and wobbly was caused by the rapid pregnancies and their attendant weight gain, which will have stretched your muscles a great deal. It may help to do targeted exercises like sit-ups to tighten the tummy muscles, but if this does not help then I would recommend that you discuss the problem with a plastic surgeon because liposuction and/or a tummy tuck may be the only way of getting your tummy firm and trim again.
Keep up the good work with the running as this helps to control your weight and stimulates your metabolism.
Enjoy those babies