Question
Posted by: Tania | 2009/11/09

powerplate confusing me

Are you supposed to keep absolutely still on this thing, and it still works? I mean for example the squat - do you just hold the squat position the full thirty seconds or do you go up and down during that time?

Another example, dumbell curls. You just stand there holding the dumbells with your arms at 90 deg - or you actually perform the arm curl hmovement during the vibrations?

Hi Tania

I think you can do either. I'll confess that I don't know exactly what they makers would be prescribing. However, the theory is that you can hold the position statically, because the vibrations work on the muscle reflex activity, so it doesn't actually require movement. That's the theory, anyway.

I've seen research, however, where athletes (ballet dancers) have done exercises actively - in other words, do the squat movement with vibration. That study found improvements in strength. So I'm a little at a loss - on one hand I know the theory is to hold the position, but the research has used movement. So I'd go with the latter, if in doubt.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/11/09

Hi Tania

Reply to fitnessdoc