Question
Posted by: Taza | 2011/01/17

Power Plate

Hello Doc

What do you think about training on the Power Plate? Do you reckon it works as well as conventional weight training? Is it bad for your joints, organs or brain with all those vibrations? Im getting mixed reviews on the internet but have a friend who swears by it.

Taza

HI Taza

I think it's a good way to introduce variety and certainly, there are some studies that show that if you do your normal weight training on the plate, you get stronger than if you do them on land. So a squat on the plate makes you stronger than a squat on land. Whether it is as good as the training in terms of a substitution, I'm sceptical.

I think, as is typical of these companies, they have over-promised massively - they promise all manner of benefits, from weight loss to combating cellulite, and that I believe is incorrect. There are no short-cuts. But as a supplement to your training, I think it's good.

As for safety, it's too early to say for sure. I think correct use is safe - excessive use is bad, but that's true of most things. If you stick to the guidelines, then I think it's OK. The frequency of vibration is higher enough that it isn't harmful. So give it a try, if you feel it's helping then keep going, but if you feel it's compromising you, then opt out and stick with what you know works.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/01/21

HI Taza

Reply to fitnessdoc