Posted by: Lelani | 2009-05-25

Power plate?

Wat weet dr van die Power Plate masjien? Ek het verskriklike stywe spiere, dit is van so aard dat dit my daaglikse lewe beinvloed en dit is baie pynlik. Ek sien gereeld '  n fisio en sy het voorgestel dat ek die Power plate masjien '  n probeer gee, aangesien hy jou spiere masseer. Sy reken dit sal uitstekend wees vir my spiere. My rug, nek en borskas is die ergste, maar my arm en been spiere is ook seer en abnormaal styf. Wanneer ek my arms na die kante toe reguit maak en dan my vingers oopmaak kan ek letterlik voel hoe trek my bors spiere, dit brand verskriklik. Ek is 29 jaar oud. Ek is heeltemal bereid om die masjien '  n kans te gee solank ek weet dit is nie net '  n geldmaak storie nie.

Hi Lelani

It's in interesting one (apologies for the english reply). There is definitely something to it. there is more evidence and a stronger theoretical basis for the Powerplate than there is for many “gimmicks” before it. The problem is that the marketers and agents for the machine hyper-inflate its value and they end up detracting from it by promising the world and delivering a village.

So let’s talk about what we do know about vibration training, which is actually not all that new – it was first used by Russians. Scientific studies have found that vibration treatments improved strength when used AS PART of a strength training programme. That is, the addition of Powerplate training to a strength programme made the users stronger than if they just did normal strength training. The reasons for this, without getting overly technical, is because the vibration increases the gravitational force and stimulates the muscle-tendon unit to lengthen and shorten at a high frequency, much like strength training does. The result is that the nerves controlling the muscle are stimulated and the muscle gets stronger as a result.

So what does that mean for you? Not entirely sure, I don't know of any evidence or research that suggests that using it will improve flexibility. The only studies I have seen are those looking at strength. I'm not sure that vibration will improve the flexibility of muscles, and it sounds as though there is some problem causing your inflexibility. No machine will fix that - so you just have to make sure here - is the stiffness a symptom of something else, or is it the problem? If it is a symptom, then you must figure out the cause. If it's the problem, then maybe the powerplate will work, no one can tell you that for sure, because no one knows. They're all just guessing.

But, it's not a complete gimmick and money making scam, it might have some merit.