Question
Posted by: Justine | 2008/08/14

Pounding Heart / Breathlessness at Night

Sometimes when I am about to fall asleep, I have what seems like a panic attack.

I suddenly start gasping for breath and my heart starts pounding so violently that it really feels like I am about to have a heart attack.

This only happens when I am in bed about to fall asleep. What could be causing this? It lasts for about a minute.

Lately I have also noticed that everytime I turn my head to one side, my right eye hurts.

Hallo Justine
Please speak to your GP. I think they should organize for you to wear a holter ECG that records the rhythm of your heart for 24 hours so they can see what is happening to the rhythm when you get these attacks. He also needs to examine your eye to see what causes this – could be nerve related or increased pressure in the eye.