Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2008-11-04

poultry in urban areas

Is it legal to keep chickens in an urban area? One of my neighbours has a rooster that starts crowing 4 o' clock in the morning and makes any sleep impossible. If it is illegal can you advise me as to what steps I can take?

Thanks for your help.

Dear Kelly

Sorry, don't know. Best to call your local council.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-04

The legality or illegality of keeping poultry isn' t the issue.

The issue is the NOISE the critters make - rather find out what the regulations are about that, because that is what you need to address. Pretend it' s a dog barking - dogs aren' t ' illegal'  but unreasonable noise is.

Incidentally - have you spoken to your neighbour? Surely there can' t be a reasonable human that thinks it' s ok to wake an urban neighbourhood up like this every day?

Reply to Chill