Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2008-11-04

poultry in urban area

Is it legal to keep chickens in an urban area? One of my neighbours has a rooster that starts crowing 4 o' clock in the morning and makes any sleep impossible. If it is illegal can you advise me as to what steps I can take?

Thanks for your help.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

This may vary depending on bylaws in different parts of the country, but generally you need a permit to keep chickens. And even if you do have a permit, it's still not legal to have a rooster crowing loud enough to wake up your neighbours! In urban Cape Town, for example, you aren't allowed to keep any poultry that constitutes a noise nuisance: a rooster would definitely fall into that category. There are also limitations on how close your chicken enclosure is to the perimeter fence, how many chickens etc. etc.

You need to contact your city council or other relevant local authority, lodge a formal complaint and request that they investigate if your neighbour has a permit. You may have to keep checking up that something is indeed being done about this...

Let me know how it goes...