Question
Posted by: Kangaroo | 2010-03-04

Pouch

I have a pouch around my lower stomach ( i have not had kids) what is thes best exercise to get rind of it , i eat a healthy diet and i train 6 times a week (cardio interval training 20 mins - 3 times) and i do abs 3 times a week ( reverse curles, cruches, curles, oblique cruches ) is this enough will it come off in time, i have been gyming for about 2 years now and eating healthy for about 1.5 years but the above metnioned work out i have been doing for about 2 months
thanks

This is perhaps the most common question, even those who exercise regularly. It’s particularly troublesome as we get older, because we lose muscle mass and that makes it more and more difficult to combat the body’s frustrating tendency to store fat, which is really the problem here. Our genes determine where that fat is deposited, which is why some people battle with the stomach, others with arms or thighs.

Regardless of the location, the key is a combination of proper exercise and careful diet. Proper exercise means avoiding the myth that you can spot reduce. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise. Unfortunately, a million sit-ups a day is not the sole solution. It certainly has a beneficial effect, and what you're doing already will help, as I’ll explain, but by itself is not the solution. So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat.

You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging.

Looking at your programme, what I'd suggest is an increase in the time spent - 20 minutes, three times a week can increase to 40 minutes, maybe 4 or 5 times, because this is a very stubborn problem, and it takes time and energy to overcome.

You should then combine this with some weight training. Weight training, which includes sit-ups, is helpful because it increases muscle mass (which has the long-term effect of raising metabolic rate) and because it literally helps create more muscle. More muscle means a more toned appearance. Just doing sit-ups is a start, but you can raise the impact by doing a variety of exercises that target different abdominal muscles. I’d suggest speaking to a trainer at the gym to discover these.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three bases.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-03-13

Reply to fitnessdoc