Question
Posted by: anon | 2011-03-09

Potty training an adult chiwawa

The dog comes from my sister. She was never potty trained correctly. They couldnt have her anymore as she and the other chihuahua were fighting constantly. They also have a son that has basically terrorised the dog, being rough, perhaps hurting her deliberatly - this i can see has also made her a little crazy so to speak.

We got her on Monday night. The dog will only go to the toilet inside the home. Even though there is two doors leading out to the garden area and one has been open for her constantly. I took her out as much as i could but she wouldnt do a thing.

I still left the one door open but waking up in the morning she did a number 2 twice then that morning peed on the mat. Last night we were litterally out side the home as much as possible as we normally are. Have a beautfiul outside area. She still never went to the toilet.

I put her outside just before going to bed and then let her in. During the night she peed once then did a number 2. This morning peed on the mat area again. Then before leaving to work peed again on the new carpet that was installed on Tuesday.

Now i was pretty lenient about disciplining her before because she was still new etc, but after peeing on the new carpet i grabbed her, brushed her face in the pee and put her outside for 15 minutes by herself.

If anyone can help me with this?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Anon, with pleasure. I have posted a link on this site for full information on toilet training for you to look at. Additionally, until this little girl becomes a little more confident, i would retrain her to use an inside toilet, such as newspaper or a clod of grass inside the house, in a specific area.

Additionally, you can crate train her, which will help to stop the night time elimination. Crate training is not cruel in any way to a dog and at the end of the article pasted below, you will find the address of a site that will give you further information on Crate Training for free.

This dog does sound a bit traumatized and i am not surprised taken into account what you have said above. Firstly, i would look at getting somebody to teach you TTouch which will go a long way to helping her to settle and calm down.
Please dont give up on her, she can be helped. Thanks Scotty
The link to the article is:-
http://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2552-2678,61400.asp

2
Posted by: Cobi Mostert | 2011-03-22

I really feel with you. I have exactly the same situation. I decided that punishing will not help. I don''t fight, scream or anything. It will just increase my blood pressure. I pick it up and carry on.

I have reaised that my dog was abused and I am not going to abuse him further. I also castrated him, which help with the problem a little bit.

Reply to Cobi Mostert
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-03-09

The link to the article is:-

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert