Question
Posted by: Beeeee | 2011/07/04

Potty training

Hi there,

Trust that you are well.

I welcomed x2 adorable scottie pups into my home this weekend  -)

I am busy reading up on how to potty train them. The only question I have is that I don''t know what to do during the night.... do you suggest that I wake up maybe twice a night and take them outside to do their business?

Thank you very much.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Bee and congrats on the new additions! Before i get onto toilet training, as you have got two dogs together you need to be very vigilant about teaching them to be alone, without the other right from the beginning. The trouble with getting two pups is that this tends to happen ending up with future problems that the dogs cant exist without one another and become more dependant on one another than on the owner.Also, do a lot of work with them individually to build up their self confidence and really bond with you. Often what happens is that one dog will be more confident than the other and the less confident dog does not develop to its full potential.

Young pups tend to need to go to the toilet every few hours at night, so take them out as late as you can and if you are crate training them, they will waken you up to go out during the night. When taking them during night and early morning, pick them up and carry them as they dont have a lot of spincter control. Here is an article on toilet training and also why dont you download Ian Dunbars book Afret Getting a Puppy from my Friendsofthedog website. This will give you excellant and reiable information. Link follows and good luck with the pups - they have ended up with a caring and committed owner and am sure you will throughly enjoy them. Dont forget puppy socialization! Thanks Scotty
http://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2552-2678,61400.asp

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/04

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert