Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2010-07-14

potty training

I recently got a labrador puppy of about 8 weeks old. When it was a bit warmer she slept outside in the kennel with the big labrador, they have bedding in the kennel and it''s nice and warm. She never poo''d in the kennel but outside it.
With the cold weather recently I put them both in the kitchen with a heater, I brought the same bedding from the kennel into the kitchen and put a lot of newspapers on the floor.

The problem is that when they sleep in the house she poo''s on the bedding at least once a night, and for the rest of the night use the newspapers or the floor. How do I get her not to do it on the bedding?

Hi Kelly

The best way to hopefully address this problem is you take the dog outside frequently (every 2 hrs) so that the pup can defecate it is important to take out when the pup awakes, after feeding, when the pup starts sniffing and circling.

Once the pup has deficated it is important to praise the dog.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2010-07-14

You might also like to review the dog''s mealtimes a bit - a young puppy needs feeding several times a day, but her last meal could be timed late enough to enable her to last until morning. A bit of experimenting might help with this.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-07-14

Hi Kelly

Reply to CyberVet