Question
Posted by: Beeee | 2011-07-06

Potty train &  leash

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your advise earlier this week.

May I please ask your advise again?

1) I am trying to potty train my pups, but the female will sometimes come in from outside and immediately sit down and wee-wee in the house. Do you know why she is doing this and how I can solve this?

2) I heard that you have to " train"  a dog to walk on a leash. From how old would you suggest can I try and make them use to the leash?

Thank you very much..... from one dog lover to another  -)

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

H Bee, dog lover! so glad the advice helped. Witht the toilet training, I would do right back to the beginning and retrain the dog from scratch. First clean all areas soilded with a mixture of 1/3 white vinegar to 2/3 water and after really clean put down some pure Citronella oil to discourage dog repeating. Many household celaners contain ammonia and other chemicals which make the place smell more like a toilet. I will put in a link for you to the toilet training article at the end.
With regrd to lead walking, the sooner you start the better. do this slowly and work in an open area where the lead wont get caught. Have a supply of treats, or even the pups food - attach the lead (make sure very light one to start with) and and holding one end of it, call the pup and offer a treat. Do this over and over till the pup comes to you every single time. Now is the time to try other places and hold one end of the lead and call the pup. when it is doing all the time, start taking a step at a time and then rewarding when the pup is by your side. In no time at all the little one will be walking around the garden and then you can progress to outside. There are a lot of article on the friendsofthedog website that refer to this and will give you a lot more detailed into. Good luck, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-07-06

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert