Question
Posted by: Sumanda | 2008/10/09

Potty problem 3.5 yrs sibling death

My oldest son is 3.5 years old. We have been potty training him for a year now. He rarely goes to the toilet when he has a bowl movement. And describes himself as naughty. Sometimes he digs the poo out of the underwear and plays with it.

I had twin boys in August last year, the youngest had Downs with an AV defect, he was in hospital a lot and died in April. Although my oldest has not shown any signs that this bothered him, could this be the cause of his potty training problems?

Yes, this could be the cause of this unpleasant problem --- children confronted with such stresses often react by sliding back down the developmental ladder they have been climbing, and may start wetting the bed again ( perhaps the commonest such response ) or temporarily losing bowel control. Seeing a child psychiatrist or child psychologist could help to clear this up sooner and more efficiently