Question
Posted by: Ash Lee | 2012/02/21

Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes and Pumkin

Hello
Doc How fattening is Potatoes,Sweet Potatoes and Pumkin ? I mean they are Carbs afterall, surely they are fattening??
though I have changed the way I ccok them BUT im still worried they are fattening coz they are carbs. OK heres how I cook them:
Potatoes : i cut them into wegdes ,put salt n herbs and drizzle 5ml Olive Oil and microwave.
Pumkin: I also cut them nicely, PUT sweetners and 5ml olive oil n bake.
sWEET Potatoes I jst boil on the stove and eat them as they are. iM JUST Concerned about the Carb content coz Im trying to lose weight with No RESULTS. Im begginin to think its these CARBS.

Dear Ash Lee
Low-fat, low-GI Carbs are not the culprits, after all, all carbs only provide 16 kJ per gram of energy while proteins provide 17 kJ/gram and fats provide a whopping 37 kJ/gram (alcohol comes in at 29 kJ/gram!). A whole 100g of boiled potatoes provide 361 kJ, cooked pumpkin provides 85 kJ/100g and sweet potato provides 439 kJ/100g. But 5 ml of olive oil already provides 5 x 37 = 185 kJ, so think of the difference in quantity - 5 g vs 100 g and you will see that these vegetables do not contain excessive energy. I don't know why everyone has such an obsession with carbs. By all means cut out the highly processed carbs such as sugar, cakes, sweets, etc, but don't banish healthy vegetables because you think they are rich in carbs and will hamper your diet. The total energy content of your diet is what determines how much you will lose.

1

Dear Ash Lee