Question
Posted by: Adele | 2009/11/26

Potatoe

Morning Doc, Thanks for all your great info.
I run tredmill 5 days a week in the morning for 35min and do +-
5km on it. At 6h00 I normally have 40gr oats with milk &  plain low fat yogurt for breakfast, but this morning I cooked a potatoe with skin (size bit smaler than my fist) in microwave and had little bit of plain low fat yogurt with it and enjoyed it very much and wonder if it is a good substitute for oats in the morning. I am little tired of oats every day. Enjoy your day and God bless.

Dear Adele
Thank you for your kind words and good wishes. There are no rules that say we must eat a breakfast cereal or porridge at our "first meal of the day" (i.e. breakfast). In many countries people eat cooked beans or rice or pickled herrings or any other food for breakfast, that we may find strange. Because you are exercising quite strenuously every morning of the working week, you need a source of high-GI carbohydrate to provide fuel and replenish your stores of glycogen in the liver and muscles plus a low-GI food to sustain your energy levels for the rest of the morning. Both oats and potato are high-GI foods and the milk and low-fat yoghurt are low-GI foods, so you can certainly have the potato with yoghurt as an alternative.
Enjoy and keep up the good work with the exercise

1

Dear Adele