Posted by: Carmen | 2009-02-03

Hey Doctor,

my husband was recently put on a low potassium diet as his kidneys are failing. I want to know if there is any food that doesn' t contain any potassium that he (if it' s ok) to snack on?

Dear Carmen
I am sorry to hear that your husband is suffering from kidney failure. Potassium is one of the most abundant minerals in the diet and most foods contain some potassium, especially snack foods. In addition fruits and vegetables that are usually recommended as healthy snacks, are high in potassium. I trust that your hubby is under the care of a clinical dietitian? if not, please visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will advise what foods are permitted in view of your husband's kidney failure.