Question
Posted by: Aletta | 2008/07/08

Postnatal depression or not?

Hi, my baby is now 5 months old. Some days I feel that I'm not coping and that work, home, baby and husband are just too much things to handle. Other days I'm feeling fine and are coping. I don't really feel like having sex and never climax anymore. I'm still breastfeeding. Now I'm wondering if I must go on anti-depressants and if I really need them. I have a history of depression and want to attend to this feelings before it may get worse. I get a lot of help from my husband but still feels like I have to have everything under control, all the time. What anti-depressants is there to use while I'm breastfeeding? Is it as effective? Please give me advice!
Thanx!!

Hi Aletta,
You don't mention whether this is your first baby, but having ANY baby is both a joy and more work and effort than one expects, and can be stressful and tiring. In addition, some women develop PND, a post-natal depression which can undermine their ability to cope with these challenges. It would be best to see a good local psychiatrist for a full in-person assessment of the extent to which you are tired, and could respond well to a planned increase of rest, with some help from oythers ; and to what extent there may be some Depression, and if so, whether an antidepressant would be wise, and if so, which should be chosen in view of your breast-feeding. These are not easy questions and depend on the results of many aspects of the assessment, and not suitable for a quick easy answer online. Antidepressants are effective in PND, and also there is CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which can be very effective as a treatment for Depression, and enhances your coping skills broadly and lastingly.

1
Posted by: lisa | 2008/07/08

hi, i suffered severely with PND - and the the the psyciatrist prescribed anti-depressants, was my saving grace! get help soon, and you will feel your old self again. remember to take some me-time - you need to be well rested to be a good mommy. good luck. Lisa

Reply to lisa