Posted by: annie | 2009-09-21

postnatal depression

Can any antidepressants be taken while breastfeeding? Baby is 1 and half months old.

There's no broad answer to that. though they may appear in breast milk, thios is something you really need to discuss with your psychiatrist / prescribing doctor, and needs to be assessed on a specific case basis, about you, your particular depression and need for emdication, and the specific drug involved.

Posted by: kato | 2009-09-22

I suffered badly from postnatal depression with both my children, and my doctor prescribed Eglynol. It increases milk production as a nice side-effect, and I don' t know exactly how safe it is during breast-feeding but it is specifically for that purpose, so I can' t see that it would be harmful. My kids are both bright, friendly, normal individuals and it doesn' t look like they suffered at all from it!

Reply to kato
Posted by: Liza | 2009-09-21

I think that the best thing would be to see a psychiatrist if you' re feeling depressed. In addition to possible CBT to handle negative thoughts (that helps A LOT - even without AD' s, I' m speaking from experience), your psychiatrist might decide to put you on an anti-depressant. The shrink will take into consideration that you' re breastfeeding and could prescribe one that either won' t go into the breast milk, or one that won' t matter if it does go into the breast milk. The most important thing being that mommy can take good care of baby.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza