Posted by: Sharon | 2011-11-02

Postnasal drip

7 yr old has rhinitis and suffers daily since birth with postnasal drip. She gets put onto anti-biotics by Dr yearly but doesn''t seem to clear it. Also daily supposed to get Zertec. Should I take her to a specialist or will the GP do. Also my 4 yr old is very loud and GP says there''s no ear infection - I wonder about her hearing. What does ENT specialist do more than a GP?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Sharon

Your children would benefit from an ENT evaluation, firstly your four year old may be suffering from Otitis Media with Effusion. If you are uncertain, an Audiogram may show if your child can hear or not. You should not play around with your child's hearing, especially if you are worried. Get the problem sorted, as failure to do so will lead to problems in later life, especially in school.
Your seven year old may be suffering from allergies, you should have this looked at by an ENT.
In both these cases your ENT opinion will be better as an ENT has specialized in this field and will be able to advise you if you are on the right track. Both of these problems could have longterm effects on their quality of life, so it would be better to get some specialist advice on the way forward.