Question
Posted by: jan swanepoel | 2009-09-09

post-workout eating / drinking

Should I eat/ drink anything within 40 minutes of my (moderate) workout ( cardio/stretching/light weights/abs.
My aim is fitness but also slight loss of weight ( 2 kilos )

Some experts say yes, protein supplements/smoothies/health bars...
Other experts say : nil by mouth for at least 40 minutes

Dear Jan
If you are only doing a moderate workout then you should at least drink something to satisfy your thirst. You will be able to judge if you are depleting your muscle and liver glycogen stores if the exercise starts making you feel exhausted. In such a case you can use an energy drink during exercise to provide some energy and to rehydrate you and have a glass of fat-free milk afterwards to help your muscles to recover.