Question
Posted by: Tessa | 2008/07/09

Post-tummy tuck exercising

How soon after a full t/t can I start exercising again? Which are suitable cardio exercises and what weight training program can I follow? I had one 6 weeks ago and understand that I shouldn't do resistance exercises until 6 months after the op. Why so long, and what exercises can I actually do?

HI Tessa

I must confess that I don't know the prognosis after this kind of surgery. I can understand why resistance training is a no-no - it's because the lifting of weights causes the intra-abdominal pressure to rise and that can cause problems. So you have to avoid anything that causes you to strain your breathing. As for cardio, I suspect (but do not know) that 2 months is a safe period after which gentle cardio could be resumed. Swimming, walking, cycling seem the best options, though I would not overdo it. The best thing you can do is to consult with a doctor who did the surgery and have the recover assessed and then make a call on what you can and can't do. But I would say that within the next two weeks, for sure, you should be able to do gentle cardio training.