Posted by: Jan Swanepoel | 2009-09-09

post-training maintenance drink/food

I have read your article on using MILK as a a post-work-out maintenance ( and even muscle building ) drink.
However, is there any other additional '  protein(??)power drink' ?? ( USN (or Lifegain, or whatever ) which should/could be added.?

Dear Jan
According to the Department of Sports Science at the University of Potchefstroom where I did a course in exercise nutrition, even top athletes can obtain all the nutrients and proteins they require from normal foods. Unfortunately most people think that they need to take all kinds of expensive supplements to improve their weightloss, muscle development and performance. Basically most of these products are not worthwhile and some of them can be harmful. For example, these power drinks usually contain mega-doses of vitamins and minerals which can cause overdosing esp of the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E). Then they contain all kinds of compounds that are supposed to assist with weightloss/ muscle development, etc, but which either don't have a proven effect or can be harmful when taken in high doses.
So stick to normal foods like milk, yoghurt and other standard foods. At the end of the day the most important factor is how much exercise you do and how well you replenish your muscle and liver glycogen stores by ingesting carbohydrates.

Posted by: jan swanepoel | 2009-09-09

Dear DietDoc
Many thanks for your answer and advice.
I must apologise for the second letter but I didn' t realise how this column works and so I didn' t realise that you had already answered.
And thanks to the reader too.
I hear what you are saying about keeping to healthy foods in general, and throughtout the day. However, my workout ends at lunchtime and therefore the question: do I wait before eating ?: In an article in Health24,( when to eat what for a workout, William Smook states " If you' re trying to lose weight, don' t eat for 40minutes after working out. This forces your body to draw upon its fat reserves for sustenance."  And elsewhere I read that I should drink milk immediately after the workout. and so forth.
Therefore the confusion.
I wish that you could refer me to articles re your last sentence ( because that contains key questions/answers : ( how well I replenish (my) muscle and liver glycogen stores by ingesting carbohydrates ' . ( Is there something on this in Health24 ? e.g.)
(Lastly, on a personal note, glad to hear you did the course at the PUKKE.It gives credibility to your claims.(haha)I have fond memories of Potch and the Phys Ed Department.( although my first love was the Teachers' Training College Yes, I was a POOT.)
Sorry for rambling.
Best wishes and good luck.
Jan S

Reply to jan swanepoel
Posted by: Kasandra | 2009-09-09

Evox whey is good

Reply to Kasandra