Posted by: Secretary | 2009-02-09

Post to become reduntant - my rights?

Dear Labour Lawyer.

I just heard that my post will be made ' redundant' . They could not tell me when, they will discuss it and let me know next week.

What are my rights in a situation like this. They did say they will ' try'  and put me in one of the other departments, but I will not count on that too much.

Please just let me know what my rights are. I cannot be without a job, I just cannot.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

If your post is going to become redundant you have a right to consultation. The right is a difficult one to explore and it is done in terms of Section 189 of the Labour Relations Act. It is suggested that you try and get hold of a labour Consultant or a lawyer.

Posted by: Secretary | 2009-02-11

Thanx for the advice, Boetie. I will keep that in mind.

Keep well. :)

Reply to Secretary
Posted by: Boetie | 2009-02-10

Sorry, I forgot to mention : If U do get retrenched then the company must give U a letter stating your retrenchment + what your last salary was. That U take to the Dept. of Labour + apply for unemployment benefits. Hope it won' t come to that though.

Reply to Boetie
Posted by: Secretary | 2009-02-10

Thank you, Boetie, I will remember that.

Won' t get much of a severance package as I have only been here for two years. So ja, but it is something at least.

Thanx again for your advice.

Keep well!

Reply to Secretary
Posted by: Boetie | 2009-02-10

They cant just pay you off. If there is no other position in the company + they genuinely have to dispense with your post then they must give you a severance package i.e. they must retrench you + pay you a certain amount. Its usually 1 weeks salary for every year that you worked there. Whatever you do DON' T RESIGN. Let them make their move. If you resign - no severance package. Also after retrenching you they can' t just employ some else in that post. If in doubt contact the Dept. of Labour. Good luck.

Reply to Boetie