Question
Posted by: Dea | 2011/02/13

Post Pregnancy Exercises

Dear FitnessDoc

I was wondering what the best methods will be to lose the weight and get back into shape after having a baby? I had a c-section.

Is it better to join a gym and get some professional advice from a personal trainer or is there another alternative you would suggest?

Thank You

Hey Dea

Depends what you did before the pregnancy. If you're active now, and continue to be active until as late as possible, then it's normally a case of resuming training at a lower level and taking maybe a month or so to build up to the level where you left it.

If you're not normally training though, then it's a bit more tricky, but no different to someone wanting to start an exercise programme in any situation. In this case, my opinion is that it's always better to have someone guiding you, whether it's a personal trainer or a coach or someone else. If you can have a biokineticist guide it, that's the best option, but failing this, a good personal trainer will help.

We have some programmes on the "Fitness" page of the site, and that should help you as well!

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/18

Hey Dea

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: MM | 2011/02/15

I picked up 26 kg with my second child (born with c-section). Two weeks after birth I put him in a sling bag and walked (3km) every day. After my 6 week examination I started to gym - the Dr told me not to do any weight training for 3 months. When I went back to work after 4 months I lost 18kgs. I think the sooner you start the better. Good luck. It is possible to get most of your body back.

Reply to MM