Posted by: Corrie | 2008-11-11

Post Polio Syndrom - 35 year old male

Good Morning Doc

I sent you a question previously and have not received a response as yet.

My husband suffered polio at an early age. This affected his R leg and R foot. He stopped wearin the braces around primary school due to being teased and have since not been wearing any support. Now he only wears lace up shoes and his shoes are not built up and it doesn' t allow for the 4-6cm difference in length between the two legs.He has also been complaining about his lower back and hip. I did tel him that he is buggering his hip and lower back up. But for the past 2 years he has been getting pains all over. First is was his knees, then his elbows, then wrists, shoulders, legs, calves, thighs, etc. Our GP prescribed Coxflam, since none of the other anti-inflammatories have been working. Recently I spoke to him and indicated to him that these pains could either be as a result of Gout (he loves Coke &  sweet Tea &  Coffee), Arthritis, Osteo-Arthritis, the lifting of heavy money boxes at his work - FG Cash Management, Or that maybe since he had the Polio, it could be that the Polio has left his bone structure &  muscles weak and could be the caus of the pain. I left it there.

My husband came to me a few days after this and told me that he did some research on the Internet and found that there was so much to be found on the Internet about Post Polio Syndrome and that various pains start happening approx 30 years to people who had Polio at an early age. I asked him if there are any meds that could alleviated the pain and he could not tell me, since it was overseas. I also asked if the pain would get worse with time, to which he replied Yes.

Please could you assist in helping us in more detail with this situation, since my husband is currently on meds for depression and I do not want him to lose hope if this means that the only thing left for him will be that the pain is going to be crippling him.

Also, if you could advise as to what pain killers is available in SA.

Is he classified as " Person with a Disability"  or " a Handicapped Person" ?

Also, where we could register him for this?

I eagerly await your urgent response.

Corrie Louw
Cel: 072-607-2104

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Corrie
Apologies for not answering- I couldn't even find the posting- sorry.
You husband needs to see an orthopaedic surgeon. The reason for his body pains are probably the fact that he is not alligned at all due to the difference in his legs- this causes the spine to become skew and it may be compressing some nerves- please get him to a specialist.
I would describe him as a person with a disability, but I'm certainly no expert on that. I think the Dept of Welfare would know best.