Question
Posted by: c | 2008/06/24

Post Polio

I have heard that there is a syndrome called Post Polio. Do you know anything about it?
I have recently been having pain in my shoulders. I am an old polio patient, who wears calipers and leads quite a full life. My problem is that as this pain is in my dominant left shoulder, and the op that is recommended would mean a serious incapacitation for several weeks, I would like a second opinion. Do you have any recommendations? I swim on a regular basis, but with thi problem have not been able to - please help.

Expert ImageHandicap Expert

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Post-polio syndrome (PPS) is a condition that affects survivors of poliomyelitis, after recovery from an initial paralytic attack of the virus. Typically the symptoms appear 20-40 years after the original infection, at an age of 35 to 60. Symptoms include new or increased muscular weakness, pain in the muscles, and fatigue.

I recommend that you go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-polio_syndrome, as the causes, diagnosis and treatment is explained in detail.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: Corrie | 2008/11/03

Good Afternoon Dr

I have known my husband since 1994 &  we' ve been married since 1997. He had an Polio attack at an early age (I think around 24months). Pelase forgive me for my ignorance for my terminology in the following sentences.

The Polio attack left his R leg under developed &  shorter than the L leg (approx 4-5cm) and the R foot is smaller/ shorter than the L foot. He did wear a brace/ caliper unitl later on in Primary School, but later on refused to wear it due to being teased and lack of money, since he was raised by his grandmother. Since then, he has been walking around wearing normal size 10/11 lace up shoes (not built up) with a pair of socks stuffed into the R shoe. He refuses to have his shoes built up and I dare not make any mention about a brace/ caliper. I know that he has buggered his hip up by now and probably also his lower back and this could also have affected his spine in some way?

For the past year or two, he has been complaining about pains in his elbows, wrists, arms, knees, lower legs, top part of his legs, hips, lower back, shoulers &  neck (all at different times). He ended up taking so much Panado, GrandPa, Compral, Myprodol, Adco-Dicofinac 50mg that I asked him to go and see the GP. He did consult her &  she prescribed a medication called Coxflam that is used for Osteo-Arthitis to be taken at night. However,he has indicated that he endures so much pain after taking this medication and it lasts for approx 1hour until the pain subsides and then the pain is back the following morning.

What I would like to know: could the Polio Attack have anything to do with the sudden onset of the pains that are jumping from one spot to the other?

If so, why?

If so, will it get worse as he gets older?

If so, is there any medication that will help alleviate the pain?

I eagerly await your response.

Thank you.

Corrie Louw

Reply to Corrie