Question
Posted by: CONCERNED MOTHER | 2011-01-25

POST PARTUM DEPRESSION

Hello CS

It pains me greatly to tell you that the wheels have completely fallen off with my daughter again. She recently returned to work after her maternity break, and now she is back to square one, if not worse. We are waiting a bed in the pshyc ward so she can get the help she so desperately needs. I am terrified as she is now entertaining thoughts of ending it all. I guess my question is where can I go to get some help. I feel like I am going off my head with worry and don''t know who to turn to to talk about this and help me see the wood from the trees.

So sorry to hear about this. Suicidal thoughts are always a possibility in any depression, as are suicidal acts, and even despairing acts of harming the baby. I hope her psychiatrist is fully informed about these concerned and will deal with them properly. There MUST be a good local psychiatrist involved and assessing her and these risks already, as a bed is waited for, and to give priority to the admission.

8
Posted by: Granny | 2011-01-25

You mention God in one of your replies above, can your church not assist you all as a family?

Reply to Granny

No unfortunately not, however I have made an appointment to see a clinical pshycologist as well as made contact with the SA Federation for Mental Health here where I live.

Reply to CONCERNED MOTHER
Posted by: Granny | 2011-01-25

Does your daughters company or her husbands company have an employee assistance program? This may cover the whole family as you are probably helping to care for the baby.

Reply to Granny

No they don''t, that''s why I''m trying to find out from CS where we should go to, as I realise we need counselling. My husband and I are willing to do whatever it takes.

Reply to CONCERNED MOTHER
Posted by: Granny | 2011-01-25

You all probably need some family therapy - does the company you work for have an employee assistance program?

Reply to Granny

Thank you Granny. You have no idea how it pains me and the desperation I feel not being able to help her. I just wish that God would take her illness away and give it to me so that she can just get on with being a Mommy and enjoy ber precious gift. I feel so helpless.

Reply to CONCERNED MOTHER
Posted by: Granny | 2011-01-25

You are a marvellous mother and we are always here to chat.CS is right she is recieving help and we are here 4 u. B strong.

Reply to Granny