Posted by: Pixie | 2009-09-17

Post partum depression

I have bipolar depression, but it seemes to have been very well controlled until I fell pregnant last year and my psychiatrist took my off all my medication except my anti-depressant. When baby was 2 months old I went back on meds but I went to a different psychiatrist and amd she put me on Epilim and Wellbutrin (I was on Venlor &  Lamictin before) I am extremely extremely depressed and just feel that life is not worth living... Can it be my medication that is not right for me?

It is difficult to decide the best course of action when someone with complex bipolar disorder falls pregnant. Obviously the mother and the doc would wish to reduce to a minimum the risk to the baby. But sometimes the risk from at least some of the helpful drugs is smaller than the risk of pregnancy accompanied by uncontrolled bipolar disorder. I'm not sure why you changed psychiatrists at that particular time, or why your new psychiartrist changed you from medicines which had worked well for you before. It could be that these current meds don't suit you as well as the previous mix, and you need to see your new psychiatrist and discuss fully your current tate o depression, and discuss the best medication for you in this situation