Question
Posted by: gef ramos | 2011/03/30

post operation diet (3weeks)

after 3 weeks, how many mL of food by NGT should be given to the patient: male, 60 kgs, 52y/o

Dear Gef Ramos
This is a difficult question to answer because there are so many unknown factors, for example: what type of operation the patient has had; the health of the patient before and after the operation; what type of nasogastric feed is being used; the prognosis and length of time that nasogastric feeding is expected to continue; medications that the patient is receiving, etc. If the patient is still in hospital, as I hope is the case, you will have to ask the attending surgeon and/or dietitian to calculate how many ml of feed the patient requires on a daily basis. If the patient has been discharged, you need to contact the hospital and the attending surgeon and/or the hospital dietitian to obtain this information.
I hope the patient will soon recover.

1

Dear Gef Ramos
I hope the patient will soon recover.