Question
Posted by: Andre Breytenbach | 2011/05/17

Post-operation diet

A friend''s 13yo son had an op where they had to remove a 15cm piece of his small intestine due to infection. The kid lost a lot of weight while in ICU for a week. What is the best diet for him in the short and long term

Dear Andre
It is essential that anyone who has had surgery and has had part of the intestine removed should be under the care of a registered dietitian. The dietitian will have to calculate a high-energy diet for the 13-year-old boy which helps him to regain the weight he lost in ICU and also ensures normal growth. I deduce that you are living in the UK. Ask the doctor who performed the surgery to refer you to a local dietitian in the UK. The reason why I would recommend that the boy should be under the care of a dietitian is that someone needs to monitor his growth after this type of operation and also recommend supplements if this should be necessary.
I do hope the lad recovers fully and regains the weight he has lost.

1

Dear Andre