Posted by: paul | 2009-01-24

post op recovery symptoms for varicose

hi doc,
my husband is 42 and had varicose veins removed from both his legs 5 days ago. Although he had "  a lot "  of veins removed according to the surgeon, there were no complications. He has waterproof bandages on the cuts, and a tight crepe " stocking"  over both lower legs, also 2 long cuts in the groin and patches of bruising.
My concern is that his left foot has become very swollen and doesn' t subside ( even after a night' s rest). His other leg had worse veins, but the foot is completely normal.
He is over six feet tall, but not overweight. He hasn' t had his feet up all the time he overdoing it, or should we be concerned?
The swelling looks like odoema of sorts, but we are far from the hospital and don' t want to raise false alarms.

Advice most appreciated. Thanks a stack.

Dear Poppy

Thank you for visiting

Your husband will have to rest for at least one week and ellevate his legs for at least 23 out of 24 hours a day. Does the stockings cover his feet? If not so, you will have to consult the doctor to reapply the stockings.

Kind regards