Question
Posted by: Marizette | 2011/02/13

Post-Op excercise

I am going for a hernia op where they fix the hernia and " correct"  my stomach. What type of excercise should I do do to speed up my recovery?

Hi Marizette

Well, you'd have to wait until you are pain free and able to exercise before trying anything. And that's something you should speak to a doctor about, because he'll advise on when you can resume training.

Then there's no specific training to speed up recovery, but certainly the sooner you can get into the training, the better. Start with swimming, maybe walking. You'd have to avoid anything that causes abdominal pressure to rise, so weight lifting may have to be delayed for a while. A few weeks, perhaps. Same for stomach exercises and things like Pilates.

You should be able to start jogging a week or so after you resume exercise, and cycling, but just take care because anything strenuous and demanding should be delayed. Other than this, it's just gradual easing back into the routine.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/18

Hi Marizette

Reply to fitnessdoc