Posted by: Gall Stone | 2009-04-03

Post Op diet

Hi Doc. I am about to have my gall bladder removed and would like to know what are good foods to eat post op, during recovery specifically. I know about avoiding the fatty stuff but was wondering about if there were any fruits or veggies that I should avoid or if there are any drinks to avoid apart from alcohol, coffee, and ordinary tea. Would fat free milk and eggs be allowed ? Thank you

Dear Gall Stone
I am holding thumbs that your gallbladder removal op is a great success. You are correct that you need to avoid all foods with a high fat content and all alcohol. You can use fat-free milk, eggs and small portions of lite margarine on your bread, etc. Fruits and vegetables should not pose a problem as they have a low fat content. You may find that you can have 2-3 cups of tea or coffee without problems and you can always drink rooibos tea with fat-free milk if you find that caffeine is a problem. The only other factor to take into consideration is that any food that causes buildup of gas (raw onions, dry beans and lentils, etc) may make you feel uncomfortable when the gas distends your abdomen and presses on the wound. But this will pass quickly.
Wishing you all the best.

Posted by: Gall Stone | 2009-04-03

Hi Doc, thanks so much. I just wanted to make sure I didn' t go and do something wrong unwittingly. I dont drink alcohol nor coffee and only drink rooibos with fat free milk anyway, so I' ll be OK on that score. Thanks once again

Reply to Gall Stone