Posted by: ck | 2009-03-11

Post op diet

I am freaking out, I am having a leg op with a possible skin graft which will render me inactive for a couple of weeks (1st 5 days off leg and elavated) I am very active, train eveyday. Worried about muscles and fitness loss and gaining weight. I know I can' t do anything about the fitness loss but is there a supplement/diet to use to maintain muscle and cut calories so not to gain weight. I have heard about the ESN Lean pro - any good and is this a meal replacement or supplement. Please help!

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Sorry to hear about you having to undergo an operation – it is always horrifying and especially if you are a very active person! The only solution is to reduce calories to prevent putting on weight and be prepared you will loose muscle mass, but don’t drop your chin you will quickly put it back on once you are ready to go again. Best advice is to go for rehab – working with athletes I see amplified results for those who do their rehab and poor and slow results for those who don’t.

Re the diet – work out your calorie need for a person of your weight and without any calories added for activity. Split that need into 6 meals a day and a 40% protein, 40% carbs (only low GI), and 20% fat (mostly good fats) ratio. Also take into account that an operation is a shock to your body and often that necessitates more calories for repair – thus don’t cut too many calories – take note of what is happening to your body. Check out the product Muscle Armor from EAS – it contains juvenile technology that was specifically formulated for people recovering in hospital – it contains huge amounts of glutamine, HMB, & branched chain amino acids that will help preserve your hard earned muscles.

I don’t know all the products off by heart – check the ingredient label – if there is a balance between carbs and protein it is a meal replacement if the protein is much higher than the carbs it is a protein shake. The lean will refer to low in fat. You may use any such products if you slot them into your calculated calorie need.

Good Luck!!!