Posted by: Ck | 2009-03-10

Post op diet

I am having a op on my leg on Friday which renders me flat on my back with leg elevated for 5 days and then 2 weeks no activity.
I am a very active woman age 39 years, I do excercises 7 days a week and have a good appetite due to the activity. Now I can' t do anything for 2 weeks and practically no movement for 5 days and i am extremely worried I am going to put on weight. Should I be cutting out my carbs over this period as I won' t need the energy and what calorie dense foods should I consume. Please help!

Dear Ck
I am sorry to hear about your op and that you will be inactivated for 2-3 weeks. You don't need to cut out carbs, but it may help to reduce your fat intake because 1 gram of fat contains 37 kJ while 1 gram of carbs contains only 16 kJ (quite a difference I would say!). Why do you want to consume calorie dense foods when you are going to be inactive? You need to eat low-energy, low-kcal foods like fresh fruit, salads, vegetables, fat-free milk and diary products, very lean meat in small quantities, larger portions of fish, legumes, and whole grains with small quantities of poly-or monounsaturated oils (olive oil) or fats (Lite margarine).
Wishing you a speedy recovery