Posted by: Trish | 2009-08-25

Post of 3789

Hi doc, I do have many friends and i am very social, it' s just the thing about me not seeing my parents for a while then i start to miss them and yes it is awful! I really dont want to be like this and i can' t help it! When i was 12, we moved to another city and again on 13(for my dad' s work) and my parents were all i had, maybe that' s why i feel like this? Yes, i' m very scared that something will happen to them while i' m away. I dont know why i feel like this. I think i am tooo overprotective, i love them very much. I just want some advise on how to overcome this. What can i do?

You know, we can get stuck in a habit of "awfulizing" --- so busy telling ourselves that something is Awful that we actually make it awful. Or at least much more awful than it needs to be. This isn't an inevitable way to feel, but a bad habit you have learned, and which you an un-learn. As this is such a long-standing habit, it would be best revised with the assistance of a Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT, counsellor. And this would benefit all three of you