Question
Posted by: Jes | 2012/08/06

Post Natal Depression

Good Morning Doc

I was diagnosed with PND with my firstborn in 2006, when we tried to conceive for our 2nd i was put on cillift through my pregnancy, our boy was born in 2010 and i didn''t have such sever PND.
I was kept on Cilift 20mg, our little girl was born in May, and i was diagnosed again at 3 weeks after the birth. My GP changed my meds to Depramil 40mg. I started feeling good and now at 10 weeks after birth i''m having a huge setback :(
I''m extremely anxious and tearful and feeling ''out of it''

I went to the ER yesterday and he suggested i stay on the Depramil and also prescribed me Epitec 100mg and Serequel 100mg. I have''nt taken these yet as im scared it might knock me out of make me feel worse?
Do you think i should stay on the Depramil?

Would appreciate your advise

If one developes PND after one pregnancy, one's risk of developing it after subsequent pregnancies is significantly higher. The Cilift in the second pregnancy probably usefully limited the severity the second time round.
I agree with Maria, that complex prescribing of such drugs, especially Epitec and Seroquel, in combination with the continuing Depramil, is absolutely NOT something which should be started or controlled by a GP, or anyone other than a fully qualified consultant psychiatrist.
I think you should arrange, maybe with the GP's help, as early an appointment as possible with your local psychiatrist, who should of course have been involved much earlier, for a re-assessment of diagnosis and treatment plan.

3
Posted by: Jes | 2012/08/06

No i''m not breastfeeding.

Reply to Jes
Posted by: Maria | 2012/08/06

Please see a psychiatrist as soon as possible. GP''s and ER doctors are not qualified to prescribe these meds. IMO adding Epitec and Seroquel in one go is irresponsible and doesn''t make sense in your situation. Do you breastfeed?

Reply to Maria