Question
Posted by: Adele | 2010-06-29

Post Natal Depression

My baby is now 9 months old I had post natal depression very badly. I was on treatment for it. I am now much better, but there is stil a part of me that is batteling very badly to except the baby. I am very unpatient and I screem at the baby.

I have a very demanding life and work. So I am over stressed and always tired. I have no one to help with the baby so that I can take a brake. Having a baby is very demanding and hard.

Afterwards I feel very bad and I am in tears.

I really do not like what I am doing. I don''t need to use medication anymore but what I am doing is not right. It is so unfair towards the baby. I am so depressed because of all the pressure on me.

What can I do?

Often moms find it harder to adjust to and bond with their baby if the relationship starts out with the disadvantage of a PND. With the extra irritability ou describe, I wonder whether the depression is still around. Having a baby is indeed hard work, as well as potentially enormously rewarding, and you are under stress
Please make arrangements to see at the very least a GP, but preferably a specialist Psychiatrist, whether privately, especially if you have medical aid, or at a major state hospital or clinic or medial school, for a proper and thorough assessment and a discussion of treatment op[tions, which should include counselling as well as antidepressant meds

3
Posted by: anon | 2010-06-29

hi adele

who told you you dont need meds anymore? it really sounds like you are still really depressed and need it.

Reply to anon
Posted by: me | 2010-06-29

i can relate girl - i remember asking myself why no one warned me about how hectic things would be! i couldn''t breastfeed my baby and that just killed me but he would look deep into my eyes as though to say it will be ok, and some feeling of reassurance would over whelm me! today he is 6 and drives me nuts - but i love him to bits!

Reply to me