Question
Posted by: Merry | 2010/04/07

Post Natal Depression

Good Day,

My baby is now 6 month old and I am batteling with Post Natal Depression. There is times that I feel I am loosing my mind. I just can not cope with this, it is killing me.

I am on a antidepressant but it is not working. Help what can I do?

I am worried that I just might do somthing stuped.

I do hope you are being assessed and treated by a proper specialist psychiatrist, as such a case is best treated by the right specialist, rather than a GP. Within the first few days on a medication, it is hard to tell whether or not it is working, but if you are concerned that this one is not working for you, discuss this with the doc, as another drug might suit you better. If you have any concerns about harming yourself or the child seek URGENT help from a proper psychiatrist for an early assessment and the best available treatment, as this condition can respond very well to the right treatment, and you and your baby ( and family ) deserve only the best.
And, as suggested, contact the support group as well.

5
Posted by: Merry | 2010/04/08

Thank you very much for all the advice, I will surely use it. I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one out there. There is no words that can discribe how it feels. My baby is now 6 months old and I am still batteling. It feel like there is no end to this madness.

Reply to Merry
Posted by: Purple | 2010/04/08

I''ve been through it too.
I was also put on tranquilisers along with the anti depressants in the beginning.
You need help from a psychiatrist and from the meds.
My meds took about two weeks to be working well enough that I felt I could stop asking my husband to hide the baby nail scissors, I was terrified I was going to gouge my sons eyes out. It took nearly a year before I was my happy smiley self again, but definitely after two weeks I started to feel slightly better and more able to cope with my sons demands.

Ask people for help. Ask your neighbour to tend to your baby while you sleep, hire a domestic worker to come in and clean a few days a week for a temporary period and to also take baby on her back once each day to gi8ve you a chance to have a shower.

Things can also seem a bit better when you are outside, so whether it is freezing cold, raining or boiling hot, put baby in the pram or a sling and walk around a bit - even if you walk in a circle or walk around a shopping centre. I had to force myself to go for these walks, and sometimes I''d just sit on the side of the road, but they did help.

I know you can''t see it now, but things will get better a little each day. My son is 6 now and I''m at a point where we are confident enough to try for a second child. I" ve been put on antidepressants in preparation for my pregnancy though, as I was depressed throughout my previous pregnancy and have had bouts of depression that weren''t linked to pregnancy or the post natal period either, so I requested this and it was agreed to.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Sympathy | 2010/04/07

Also wanted to give you the contact details for the PNDSA - they may well have a support group in your area: their national helpline is 082 8820072.

I joined a group and found them to be incredibly supportive and understanding - they can also give you contact details for the necessary professionals.

Reply to Sympathy
Posted by: Sympathy | 2010/04/07

I really felt for you and wanted to respond - I have suffered from very severe PND twice and know exactly how you feel - few who have not been through it can understand. I know that the fear, panic and feeling of doom is endless and can leave you feeling vey trapped and desperate.

The anti depressants can sometimes take up to 6 weeks to kick in - you don''t say how long you have been on them. I was put on tranquilisers in the interim as I was very scared of hurting my baby/doing something stupid. Get help from a professional/psychiatrist ASAP so if you need to change the antidepressant or need interim meds/counselling you can be advised.

A support structure is also vitally NB but know that it is something many struggle to understand - my father and husband told me to pull myself together - little did they know!!!

Try to get as much sleep as possible as sleep deprivation only exacerbates the depression. If you feel like you are going to do something stupid, call someone, even if it is Lifeline!!

Know that you are not alone and that there is light at the end of the tunnel even though it does not feel like that right now.

Reply to Sympathy